Monday, October 27, 2014

Make-up Brush Cleaning Routine Update

Yesterday as I was getting ready to do something I do frequently, I realized I never tell you guys about it, so here I am, telling you.

About a year and a half ago I blogged how I clean my make-up brushes, and it is one of my most popular posts. This is kind of a follow up to that and a discussion about make-up brushes in general.


In my previous post I cleaned my brushes with a hot water, vinegar, and dish soap mixture. I still use that exact same thing. I know a lot of people use baby shampoo to clean their brushes and I have definitely done that (johnson & johnson tear free baby shampoo, in the yellow bottle, is what I used) and it works great, truly. I don't really ever notice a huge difference in how clean my brushes are between my cleaner and the baby shampoo. The biggest difference is that hot water, vinegar, and dish soap are things I always have at my apartment. Baby shampoo is something extra that I have to purchase.

*ProTip: When I'm cleaning all of my brushes, I go ahead and make up 2 jars of the cleaner. I know I'll need to refresh it at least once, so if I already make 2 then I'm saving time.*

I clean all of my make-up brushes every other weekend. Some brushes actually get cleaned a little more frequently than that, such as my blush brush, my foundation brush, my bronzer brush, my face powder brush, and my eyeliner brush. Those just get cleaned any time I feel like they need it, which sometimes is weekly, sometimes a few times a week. You never know.

My friends think I'm crazy for cleaning them so often, but about 10ish months ago when I started cleaning them every other weekend I noticed a huge decline in my breakouts. Those brushes are dirty and then we put them on our faces. My friends can think I'm crazy all they want, I'm still cleaning them obsessively.

Now, I haven't noticed anything wrong with my brushes since I've started cleaning them so often. It's not like I'm running them through the dishwasher. I'm cleaning them gently. Cleaning does not equal ruining.


As far as my brushes go, I have Bare Escentuals, Bare Minerals, Mary Kay, and e.l.f. brushes. I love them. The e.l.f. brushes are so good for the price, honestly, however they have the most fallout of all of my brushes. It's nothing crazy, but especially my face brushes you get some fallout. But again, for the price, they are so worth it. Mary Kay has the least fallout, except for one particular Mary Kay brush and it drives me absolutely crazy, so I have like 4 back-ups of that brush. The Bare Escentuals and Bare Minerals brushes are fine, but there's nothing amazing about them. I didn't buy any of them, they were all given to me.

I did have a Sonia Kashuk brush that I loved, but I dropped it in the toilet and there's just no coming back from that. I watch a lot of make-up tutorials on YouTube and honestly, a lot of them use the Sonia Kashuk brushes. Most of them do use the Sephora brushes, which I would love, but I also don't want to pay $20+ for each brush. Sorry.

So that's that.
Clean your make-up brushes.
Buy me some Sephora and Sonia Kashuk brushes.
Catch ya on the flip side.
Happy Monday!

6 comments:

  1. I have no idea how to use make up brushes. I am the worst at make up! haha I can't believe they even make all of these different types! You go girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really need to clean mine. thanks for making me feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am usually lazy and just use hot water, but I should definitely try the soap and vinegar...I need to get on that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I've missed you. Also, can I send you my brushes to be cleaned? I'll pay you in nice compliments and friendship? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking it is now time to clean my brushes, great advice for the solution!

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...